Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Purpose Of The Middle Finger

Three weeks ago I smashed the guts out of my finger. I was left with a painful nub wrapped safely in a rather large and unwieldy splint. During that time I have learned the purpose of having a middle finger. Aside from continually flipping the bird, I lost the ability to do most of the mundane things I do on a daily basis. The most important aspect of having five functional fingers is the ability to grip. Almost every action involves a grip: pulling heavy things, pushing heavy things, lifting heavy things. So in essence, changing, bathing and moving Tanner was an impossibility. Also I found folding laundry, making beds and doing the dishes to be very cumbersome using only one hand. Try washing your hair with one hand. For that matter try washing your hand with one hand. Try it!

So although I can survive using just one hand I am so grateful I have two. After three weeks I am well on my way to a fully functional grasp. Already there is a tiny newborn fingernail growing right where it should and by the end of the summer it may need a trim.



No comments: