Friday, August 30, 2013

My First Time

I have done a lot in my lifetime, a lot of unusual things as well as a lot of common things. It is getting to the point, however, where 99% of the things I do are not new experiences. The comfort of routine is a peaceful and safe part of my life. But today I had to change things up because the garbage can was already too full. My big, green waste, curb-side container was overflowing with pruned bushes and dead weeds, which meant I couldn't do my usual woman's work. Soon I got this WILD idea! Maybe, just maybe, I could try to mow the grass! I have never mowed a lawn in my lifetime, I have never started a mower nor pushed a mower. I know that Dave was subjected to mower abuse when he was young so I figured that mowing the lawn was a colossal, torturous feat requiring great strength and patience. So with fortitude I approached that manly grass eating machine, pulled the handle that said "PULL" (twice) and then was wildly surprised that it roared to life. I pushed the beast onto the turf, accidentally grabbed onto a mechanism under the mower's handlebar and then the thing started mowing on it's own. I guided the trimming apparatus with little effort and yet the result was a neatly lined lawn. What I once thought was a daunting task was really just like a back and forth walk with a noisy friend.

Next I will tackled that weed-wacking thingamajig.





No comments: