Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mother Of Two Risks Life Just For Fun

Darn near died trying to climb over a puddle of water


Barely made it down a big hairy cliff


Was up to my knees in toxic mud and nasty water


Wandered for hours in the desert with no chance of rescue


After a week of monitoring the rain forecast, I decided to go to The Swell with Casey, Alisa, Jason, Ryland and Jared. We arrived in the desert late Friday night, layed out the sleeping bags under the stars and relaxed while "Dark Side of the Moon" softly played. It was perfect. The next morning we began our long journey into a winding slot canyon, equiped with ropes and harnesses and water bottles. Left in the capable hands of Casey and Jared, I was able to repel down 3 cliffs with much trepidation and exhilaration. It was so much fun! We then encountered mud, some was dry and crunchy and some was deep and squishy. Some mud looked like yummy fudge. After we left the cozy canyons, Jared led the death march back to the van. We wandered the desert for 4 more miles, putting one foot in front of the other. I thought of the old chant..."oh we oh...ooooooh oh, oh we oh......oooooh oh, as I trudged up one butte after another. Just in the nick of time, before total exhaustion, the van appeared before us. An ice cold soda waited in the cooler. Then to top of a pretty good day, we all had a fat burger at Groggs. And to Dave's surprise I came home alive and well.

3 comments:

Nanette said...

good times... To hear you scream and giggle at the same time while repelling off an 80 foot cliff reminded me of where Tanner gets his infectious squeal

Suzanne said...

I liked the comment you left on my blog. It really IS ALL about the children. But it sure is nice to once in awhile take an adventure on your own. I am so glad you were able to go canyoneering. These away moments from the kids are freeing. I think it rejuvenates us to again, give our "all" to the kids when we get home.

Casey Hyer Photography said...

I on the other hand resent your comments about it being all about the kids. hi, look at me, I'm right here, over here, pay attention to me. I'm not self indulgent, I don't know what you're talking about. And quite pressuring me! ; )
anyway, I had a lot of fun with you on this trip. Let's do it again after Jared scopes out a new location before hand. And the phrase is 'damn near died'. Yep, I'll just say it.